Be the good girl you always have to be: Is Frozen’s Elsa the queer heroine we need, but not the one we deserve?
Another Disney film and another wave of reviews, reading, and critisisms are beginning to hit the internet. Amid discussions of Disney’s ongoing race problems, feminist-friendly trope subversions, and the eternal question of “why the hell is that Reindeer acting like a dog?” one question stands out to me: Is Queen Elsa, well, queer?
There certainly is a compelling case for it. On the obvious level, Elsa has no love interest in the piece (her sister, Anna, gets two!) Hans himself says that “no one was making progress” with Elsa in a romantic sense. Now, I’m not about to argue that any young woman about to take control of a country who isn’t interested in a boyfriend is a lesbian. Similar comments were made about Brave’s Merida, and honestly, that in itself isn’t enough for a decent queer reading.
But with Elsa there is more. So much more.
Effectively, her ice powers are a convenient LGBTQIAP+ metaphor (much in the same vein as the X-Men’s mutant powers.)
Elsa has been born with these powers (she’s literally born that way). They are an integral part of who she is as a person, but she is forced by her parents to keep that part of her hidden. If people know, they would reject her, she would be in danger, made into a pariah by her own people. So she is made a self-exile instead. Full of fear of experiencing the isolation and discrimination that LGBTQIAP+ people know so well, Elsa hides away from everyone, even her sister.
Watching Elsa struggle to keep up her mask or normalcy is heart breaking. She wears gloves all the time, constantly afraid to touch other people. Her father’s words- her mantra is- “Conceal, Don’t Feel.” Hide who you are. Don’t follow your heart. Don’t feel your feelings. “Be the good girl you always have to be.” She is, rather obviously and metaphorically, in the closet about her true inner self.
But on the day when she comes of age- her Coronation day, when she is finally a young woman and no longer a girl- her secret is revealed.
Elsa’s “Let It Go” is an epic ballad. Transitioning from a lament, to self-acceptance, all the way to self-celebration, Elsa literally strips away her confinements (hair pieces, crowns, gloves, cloaks, sleeves) and transforms into a sparkling, confidant woman. She says “That perfect girl is gone / Here I stand in the light of day /Let the storm rage on /The cold never bothered me anyway” To deny that it sounds like a bit of a coming out ballad for those of us who have gone through the same struggle is putting it mildly.
To read Elsa as a queer heroine, to read her struggle as a queer struggle, and to see the ending where Anna proves that she loves her sister no matter what and she is able to go back home as she truly is, adds such a level of depth to an already lovely film.
Now, let me be clear: a queer reading for Elsa is easy and, for me, compelling. She may very well be the queer icon that many of us NEED right now- high profile, sparkling, with a karaoke worthy ballad.
But ultimately, Elsa isn’t the queer icon we DESERVE. Her queerness is simply an interpretation, a reading built on metaphor and subtext. She is not canonly queer. she does not give visibility and representation to the LGBTQIAP+ community.
What we DESERVE is a queer heroine who’s queerness is more than subtext. I’m talking Girl meets girl, big sweeping love ballads, true love’s first kiss, all of it. And someday, we WILL get it. Elsa just isn’t that.
Does this post read like “she’s frigid. maybe she’s a lesbian” to anyone else, or just me?
this is one of the more
homophobiclesbophobic things i’ve read all week (referring to OP here)
I’m sorry…in what way is presenting a possible queer reading of a character lesbophobic?
Honestly, you don’t DESERVE shit. The movie is made for everyone, and I’m not sure EVERYONE agrees that we DESERVE to have a queer heroine. Why don’t you stop speaking for everyone and just be satisfied with the goddamn movie?
I’m all for gay rights and everything, but really? I don’t think you have any right to say what anyone does or does not DESERVE.
Also, the fact that you are trying to make a character form to the sexualization that you want them to be is just plain stupid. Just because she doesn’t find a man does not mean she is a lesbian. Yes, yes. I understand how you want her to be and how it “just makes complete sense” but seriously. Pick your battles. A children’s movie is not a ‘battle’ I would be proud to win over. I (and hopefully others) would rather it be over something that mattered.
- alialliallie likes this
- rosesaregreen98 likes this
- menemsha-blues likes this
- serenstumpity likes this
- urie-mazing reblogged this from hella-mathmatical
- urie-mazing likes this
- hella-mathmatical reblogged this from lady-frosting-goblin and added:
- lady-frosting-goblin reblogged this from cycle-it-though-kojima
- cycle-it-though-kojima reblogged this from kamisuzumiya
- kamisuzumiya reblogged this from averyfancyblog and added:
- averyfancyblog reblogged this from omgaidawtf
- adlebert likes this
- omgaidawtf reblogged this from colurz-changed-ulrs-again
- andthentheresleo reblogged this from robospite
- andthentheresleo likes this
- robospite reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- colurz-changed-ulrs-again reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism and added:
- naupathicseal likes this
- myemmaswansong likes this
- thtsrllycool likes this
- sashas-blouses reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- fersken reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- fersken likes this
- headwater-creek reblogged this from whatsthestorylike
- warringgods reblogged this from rosemary-inspirations
- bara-barmaid likes this
- readmylips0 reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- cminutebyminute likes this
- fuckyeahvanillacoke likes this
- mymuffins12 likes this
- shedidntbelieve likes this
- ballad-is-a-male-duck likes this
- teslasaur reblogged this from iknowwhoselineitis
- lamp-it-up likes this
- fr0zentatertots likes this
- littleprincecasey likes this
- quarteraftertennant likes this
- iknowwhoselineitis reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- swissfuckingcheesegdi reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- notabigrock reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism and added:
- thesilvervine likes this
- modernjournalism likes this
- peachchild reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- swissfuckingcheesegdi likes this
- leithianmotivation reblogged this from fucknosexistfandoms
- ladyofleithian likes this
- angelic-starlight-rainbow reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism and added:
- 0bsidianorder likes this
- pleaforclarity reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism